This method, inherently dirty and disruptive, would have been used at Hove until the arrival of the railway in 1840.
By 1861 the site had doubled in size and there were now five gasometers, ranging in size from small to large.
is a town in East Sussex, England, immediately west of its larger neighbour Brighton, with which it forms the unitary authority Brighton and Hove.
It forms a single conurbation with Brighton and some smaller towns and villages running along the coast.
As part of local government reform, Brighton and Hove were merged, to form the borough of Brighton and Hove in 1997.
Andrew's Church, and in 1832 built a gasworks on a two-acre site.Later, other brickfields were established further west, remaining until displaced by housing development.In the years following the Coronation of 1821 the Brunswick estate of large Regency houses boasting a theatre, riding schools and their own police was developed on the seafront near the boundary with Brighton.The process required substantial tonnage of coal, delivered by horse-drawn cart on the unmade tracks in the vicinity, and removal of by-products including coke, coal tar, sulphur and ammonia.
An industrial site such as this, with a tall chimney and two gasometers next to the churchyard was a considerable intrusion on the populace of Hove, but not for still-distant and rapidly growing Brighton, the main centre of consumption.
The Manor is currently serving as a pub-restaurant and whilst it was once on open downland, it is now surrounded by the 20th-century Hangleton housing estate.